What have you done today?

What have you done today?

‘What have you done today?’ Is it me or is that just the way to start an argument? Since starting blogging full time in January I have been asking myself that question daily. Have I been productive enough? Am I managing my time between work and being a mum/wife/friend correctly? The answer is always no.

Putting aside the element of only being able to list a handful of achievements each day also comes with having to tell people what I have actually been up to. You know those days where you break all the petals off a flower, stand on a chair precariously in the brightest corner of your bathroom to take an arty picture to represent love? Yeah well those days don’t sound productive do they. Calling those things work sounds nuts too and its rubbing off on me. I am becoming more introvert and more eccentric by the day. Well by that I mean I wore sunglasses on a cloudy day last week.

I sometimes imagine what my careers teacher would say if I told her how I made money now. How I actually get to call taking pictures my job despite not being a professional photographer. How I basically beat the system. I didn’t train for the job I have. I learnt everything through observation and youtube videos, through making friends and asking questions and I actually love what I do.

Dress Laura Ashley Cardigan Laura Ashley  Sandals Salt Water Basket Fortum & Mason

Why is the focus always on being so busy? Great days don’t have to be the most productive ones and having to justify what you have been doing to other people drives me mad. Especially to people who just don’t get social media. The non bloggers, non Instagram addicts, living in the real world people. I am getting used to the looks from strangers now. Yes its odd that I’m photographing my feet when I have a perfectly instagrammable child stood next to me and yes I am out here with just my tripod because I don’t have a very helpful Instagram husband. Do you know what, that might even be me fake laughing with no one around for a picture. Oh the glamour. You just can’t let other peoples lack of understanding hold you back. They may laugh, they may even tell someone you’re a twat but I do the same to joggers who swing their arms as they run so I guess its karma.

Truth is I have definitely been slacking off recently. I have lost my blogging mojo. I have let insecurities sneak back in and maybe just maybe let comparison be the thief of joy. I’m pulling my metaphorical socks up now however and trying to put myself back out there again. That way I can feel like I have been busy enough and stop snapping at my husband when he asks ‘what have you done today?’.

Cara

1. June 6, 2017 / 11:22 am

Fab post dude and TOTALLY hear you, especially having a boyfriend who isn’t even on Instagram so totally does not get it. Every single photo he’s ever taken is shit! How hard can it be? Not to mention he rarely makes an appearance so I honestly think many followers think he’s imaginary haha it is so true how that question riles you, i feel the same. You somehow feel because so many don’t understand blogging it has to be a side job and not part of the to do list! As always love your honestly, and i think im learning now that blog mojo just comes and goes. Still rockin it babe. Keep doing what you’re doing

• Cara
      June 6, 2017 / 11:25 am

Thanks Kelly! Im such a messy photo taker that tidying up afterwards is the biggest part of my job!

2. June 6, 2017 / 11:54 am

Loved reading this 👏 Hate the obsession with forever sounding busy and important these days! Great blog… I’ll be imagining your tripod next time I see a smiley post (and you’ll be all the more cool for it 😊) xx

• Cara
      June 6, 2017 / 11:55 am

Haha! That tripod is my best friend!

3. Izzie
    June 6, 2017 / 12:09 pm

Loved reading this, it’s put a smile on my face. Currently trapped under my 7 week old sleeping daughter…when my husband comes home later and ask what I’ve done today i’m hoping to say more than just watched tv and taken (instagrammable) pictures of the baby.
    Love your blog and instagram x

• Cara
      June 6, 2017 / 1:19 pm

haha its my husband that makes me feel so unproductive I swear!

4. Rachel
    June 6, 2017 / 12:26 pm

Love this!! As a marketing manager speaking to the “non social media generation” such as my mother, means constantly explaining yourself on things you know works, such as why do you always post things, why are you taking a photo of your coffee?? I love to see happy photos, perfectly posed food pictures and obviously instragrammed the hell out of photos. Yet people always say “why don’t you just take a “normal” photo” or don’t seem so posed… well that’s all well and good but not what todays society wants to see.
    I love to see the Instagram stories which are a bit more real, and an insight into your day to day, but the perfectly instagrammed photos are what I crave!
    Love everything you do 🙂 x

5. Cara
    June 6, 2017 / 1:19 pm

Aw thank you so much!

6. June 6, 2017 / 3:45 pm

It’s so annoying isn’t it that we feel the need to justify?? My husband is getting much better but he still wants his dinner on the table if he has been to work and sometimes I’m trapped under a peony or something and food just isn’t on my list!! However when he is off he cooks so at least we get fed every other week. You are doing grand my love xx

• Cara
      June 6, 2017 / 5:00 pm

Yes especially as we never ask what they do in a day! Thank you x

7. Grace
    June 6, 2017 / 6:31 pm

LOVE this post Cara. I too get the ” what have you done today” and get the rage inside!! Ive lost my blogging mojo a bit recently and I completely get the whole comparison thing. I get loads of ideas then come on to instagram and just think no thats crap no ones going to want to read about that! But being brave and not giving in to judgy people is definitley the key. Ive lost so many friends because they think my ig is weird because I like lots of white in my house…. but if I like it who gives a shit really! Your truly fab and I love your ig and blog. Keep doing what your doing and even if you do fuck all for one day of the week or even more then you are totally aloud to do that! Lots of love, Gracie ( beingmummyxo) xx

8. June 7, 2017 / 1:56 am

I hear you! Sometimes though, it’s important to allow ourselves the luxury of stopping. Others call it slacking, I call it giving myself the opportunity to be a human, just being. Being still. Being kind to myself. Giving myself the permission to recharge and yup – no everyone gets it when we all seem to value the “busy bee.” Sometimes others don’t get our pauses, (even loved ones) and that’s ok. You are creative and this is a really important and beautiful post. Neve x

9. L
    June 14, 2017 / 9:00 pm

Love this post. Hate the word ‘busy’ – especially those who use it to look down on how you’ve spent your day!!! I’m a stay at home mum and feel my working friends use the word ‘busy’ to undermine how I spend my day!

10. L
    June 14, 2017 / 9:03 pm

Love this post. Hate the word ‘busy’ – especially those who use it to look down on how you’ve spent your day!!! I’m a stay at home mum and feel my working friends use the word ‘busy’ to undermine how I spend my day. I sometimes wonder if the word ‘busy’ promotes self importance?