Parenting Our Way

Parenting Our Way

There are some things that my husband and I are chalk and cheese over. Such as he adores skiing and I have a phobia of slopes. He believes hanging towels over banisters is a suitable place to leave them, whereas myself and anyone who isn’t living in university accommodation would disagree.

Its all fine though because where it matters we agree. Especially when it comes to parenting. My husband is definitely stricter than me and can sometimes forget how little they are, maybe expecting them to be more grown up than their years. Whereas I can be guilty of trying to keep them tiny. I hold my hands up and say I love the nights one of them crawls into bed with us. Although these days are so rare now.

I wanted to share the things that matter to us the most and what we hope will raise happy, confident children.

Routine

We have alway been very set with our routine. We rarely change it because the boys seem to have a mini melt down if we do. They eat at 4.30pm, bath by 5.30pm and are in bed by 6.30pm every night. (Give or take 30mins) This has been since birth, they have only ever missed a bath 2 or 3 times in their life. My two are just too sticky not to bath every day! This was really because Harbor responded so well to routine and then it just became habit. It means I eat my evening meal at 4.30pm though as I love to eat with the boys. (Poor Si eats alone at 7pm when he gets home. Yep he doesn’t really see the boys Mon-Fri)

Clubs

There is definitely a balance between tiredness and giving your child as much opportunity as possible. Both our boys love to do clubs  and we are keen for them to try as many different things as possible. (Money permitting) I just personally believe doing clubs will help them learn to socialise and to find out what it is they love doing and ultimately who they are. Currently the boys only do sport clubs but I’m hoping soon as Harbor gets older he might show an interest in music or art. I’m yet to see what Sonny might enjoy. To me the more hobbies that they have the less chance of them hanging around on street corners when they are older. My theory is they will be too busy to be in trouble. (Don’t tell me boys always make time for trouble because I’m happily living in denial)

Dogs

I don’t know how everyone else feels about pets but I love the boys being brought up around dogs. Firstly it means we have to get loads of exercise as a family. I have harped on about how being outdoors improves my mental health before and I really believe it. Just watching them looking after and being respectful to the dogs is heart warming. It amazes me they are so gentle with the dogs but fight each other!

So thats it. I am narrowing down all (if any) of my parenting success down to Routine, Clubs and Dogs. Not the perfect book title and its an odd selection I know but honestly aside from love and time with my boys I do believe these are massive in making them well rounded individuals. I might revisit this post once they get a little older and see what remains important then.

Cara

1. Victoria
    April 24, 2017 / 7:22 pm

Couldn’t agree more cara, my boys are 12 & 10 and are happy ,confident , “a bit crazy” boys and it’s all down to routine, football and a pet rabbit!

Great blog x

• Cara
      April 24, 2017 / 7:23 pm

Phew I was worried people might think I was nuts! 😘

2. Victoria
    April 24, 2017 / 7:26 pm

Not nuts at all, just say what people are thinking and doing. Great job x

3. Jo
    April 25, 2017 / 8:35 am

I think routine is so important, it makes kids feel safe and secure.

• Cara
      April 25, 2017 / 9:08 pm

Absolutely! Couldn’t agree more. x

4. Lucy
    April 25, 2017 / 12:38 pm

Same as us, although we are still deciding which club to start our four year old in… football or rugby. My husband wants to fill all my boys time with sport so they don’t have time to get in trouble like you said, i wonder if it will work!

• Cara
      April 25, 2017 / 9:08 pm

Heres hoping!

5. Charlotte
    April 25, 2017 / 1:23 pm

Not nuts. I am exactly the same Cara. It’s lovely to hear you do a routine too. Ours is about the same. Your two boys remind me of mime and always make me chuckle x

• Cara
      April 25, 2017 / 1:23 pm

Thank you Charlotte!

6. Helen
    April 25, 2017 / 6:19 pm

We have a 2 year old and 4 month old! My 2 year old eats at 4/4:30, bath at 5:30 and bed by 6:30 and has been like it since birth! I love it as gives me the evening to relax and be organised. My little girl is just starting to slot into the same routine! X

• Cara
      April 25, 2017 / 9:08 pm

Its so nice isn’t it to have them settled in a routine x

7. Leanne Delargy
    April 25, 2017 / 7:57 pm

Same as us! Love my routine. Two boys too 5 and nearly 4. I never fathom how parents of boys don’t bath/shower them every night. Mine are always stinking- country boys mucked to the eye balls! 😂

• Cara
      April 25, 2017 / 9:07 pm

Routine is as much for me as it is them! Plus there is nothing better than freshly bathed kids!

8. Vikki
    April 25, 2017 / 9:00 pm

We are the same Cara. If my two are not in bed by 7 it’s me that’s having a melt down 😂 I also find a 4.30 tea time works really well as in my children tend to eat more. Martha currently attends 3 clubs and sometimes I think I must be crazy spending all that money but until they find their thing what else do you do?xx

• Cara
      April 25, 2017 / 9:06 pm

There are worse things to spend money on! But I get that it gets expensive. Especially Tennis which we have started looking into!!

9. Sarah
    April 26, 2017 / 3:39 pm

I’m another routine lover. And also not bathing them??? It’s probably the SMS people whose kids can wear the same clothes two days in a row! My boys are filthy every single day!😂

• Sarah
      April 26, 2017 / 3:39 pm

Same not SMS

• Cara
      April 26, 2017 / 4:03 pm

Yep same over here, I have 5 sets of school uniform!

10. Nicola
    April 27, 2017 / 11:13 am

I’m still stuck on the first paragraph and the discovery that someone else’s husband also drapes damp towels over the bloody banisters….drives me batty too, isn’t that what heated towel rails are for?!

Yes to routine and the early tea – although our eldest son has just turned 10 and is still up at 8.30pm watching Bake off etc with us and asking masses of obvious questions because he has failed to listen to the commentary. Arghh!