Do I Share Too Much On Social Media?

When I started having social media (and I’m mainly talking about Instagram here) I didn’t expect my following to grow. This has never been my goal. Yes its really flattering and amazing to have support in larger numbers. If I ask a question about anything you guys hook me up with all kinds of suggestions! (the people who say there is no instruction book for parenting obviously never asked about potty training on Instagram!) I don’t try to gain followers. I barely use hashtags or follow any of the rules about having a theme or one subject. I just share what I want when I want because ultimately my social media is for me and about me. One day its all about my boys, the next my hair. I think that my Instagram account along with my blog  has their finger in many pies and I’m ok with that.

I really like that I’m honest. Its my favourite quality about myself. I like that I have an opinion and feel confident to share it. Recently I have started to think about whether I share too much on social media. Im happy to tell you about my stretch marks, my cellulite, the fact that I sometimes shout at my children and then fail to fall asleep at night because I feel so guilty about it.

There isn’t really anything that I hold back on. I wouldn’t shout about where my children go to school but if someone was sinister enough to want to find out it wouldn’t be hard to do so. So when you see my pictures and read my captions they are just me. Raw and unedited (but obviously taken in the best light) Do I share too much?

Shirt M&S

Dress Asos

Mulberry similar here

Shoes Air And Grace

Coat New Look

If I do then I doubt I can ever change. Im not interested in talking about what people had for breakfast. I want to talk about that argument they had with a friend, or that argument I had with my husband. I like that stuff. The behind closed doors things, because THATS the fabric that makes us who we are. I wanna know who you are when you’ve taken your bra and make up off. The nitty gritty. Then I’ll know if we can be friends. Don’t get me wrong I have non sharer friends. My husband is a non sharer. Im an admirer of these people who know when to shut up. So demure and chic. Lets be honest though they’re not as much fun. Right?

capturedbykatrina-7745capturedbykatrina-7804capturedbykatrina-7782capturedbykatrina-7765

What are the downsides of sharing too much? That people might not like me? Its always better to be liked for who you are than who you are not. I worry a lot about whether I’m liked, I always worry after seeing people whether I talked too much about myself or did they take my joke the wrong way. I would really benefit from a disclaimer t-shirt. ‘Don’t take offence I’m just a sarcastic bitch’. The trouble is when you get to my age, with a few kids slung under your belt its not easy to change. Maybe when my boys are older and bringing their friends round it might be time to cut back on the over sharing. ‘No friends sleeping over tonight. Mummy is on her period and feeling very stabby’.

Cara

Photography by Katrina

Share:

1. Charlotte
    February 2, 2017 / 7:56 pm

I love your honesty and really wish I could be more honest! I do find myself covering up if I’m having a rubbish day with the kids or husband, something I hear is pretty bloody common!

• Cara
      February 2, 2017 / 8:01 pm

It probably best to sugar coat some of the bad times as no one likes to moan! Im very moany!

2. Lucy
    February 2, 2017 / 7:59 pm

The main reason I “follow” you on Instagram (and consequently found your blog) is because of your honesty. I love all these images of perfection we see on Instagram, but they do get old fast, and having an injection of reality is refreshing. My really enjoy my life with my family, but sometimes I’m tired and my skin looks bad, some days I hate my job and sometimes I argue with my husband about stupid things. That’s life, that’s why it’s so fun, and being honest about that is relatable. Keep going as you are so long as it makes you happy!

• Cara
      February 2, 2017 / 8:03 pm

Couldn’t agree more. Take the rough with the smooth. I am not a fan of overly happy accounts either, I’m always searching in the background for the toddler drawing on the walls!

3. Stacy
    February 2, 2017 / 8:36 pm

I love reading about your life and experiences. I find it weird but I don’t share anything anywhere. It’s not because I don’t want to but I feel like I’ve missed the boat and if I started to now it would be weird! I only have Facebook to be in touch with my sons school but I have never posted a picture or written a post. I have Instagram but the only picture is the one my son posted by accident! I almost feel envious of your openness and wonder what it would be like to step into that world. I don’t think I’ll ever be brave enough to find out Xx

4. Lucy
    February 2, 2017 / 8:55 pm

Don’t stop being honest and ‘real’! It’s very refreshing in a world full of such staged bollocks!!

5. February 3, 2017 / 1:04 am

I worry I share too much too… but like you, I don’t think I do, i think I only feel that way because there are so many people who remain tight lipped and keep up a facade…. I really believe that.

I am SO paranoid when I post anything personal, I did last night and I’m fearful that it’s too open, but the feedback has been unreal and even though I still feel cringy, I know it’s the right way of instagramming/blogging otherwise I lose sight of WHY i started in the first place.

I was so sick of mums and people who just said everything is amazing all the time………. maybe is for them, but I don’t believe it’s true behind closed doors.

Im rambling… should be sleeping, but awake still cringing about my ‘over sharing’ last night!!

Stay as you are, I love your IG and us mums/wives who have non shared husband’s have to stick together!!

6. February 3, 2017 / 12:37 pm

I love this post, mainly because I often wonder the same, but you’ve summarised it perfectly and put my mind to rest. To be liked for who you are, rather than what you’re not.

7. February 3, 2017 / 4:37 pm

Great post! I can relate…I find when I’m not true to myself…that’s when I mess up. Honesty is the best policy!! xx

8. Nic Powell
    February 3, 2017 / 5:35 pm

Love this! Keep doing what you’re doing x

9. Nic Powell
    February 3, 2017 / 5:35 pm

Love this! Keep doing what you’re doing x

• Cara
      February 7, 2017 / 1:28 pm

thank you!

10. Debbie
    February 21, 2017 / 10:48 pm

Love this post!!! I’m an over sharer, I tried to tone it back a bit but it’s just who I am so I’m embracing it! I figure most people like my frank what you see is what you get attitude (that’s what I’m telling myself anyway!) I love your blog and instagram because of the honesty and how relatable it is although my house isn’t as beautiful!!! Love your style and seeing your outfits and as a mum of two boys I also like to see that someone else sometimes finds being a mum difficult too. Thanks for being honest in your blog, don’t change ❤

11. July 30, 2017 / 6:25 am

Great post! Keeping it real is the only way to make sense of this journey we are all on. So many people are too scared to have an opinion for fear of being disliked. Your photos are amazing and you write from the heart which is completely relatable. Keep it coming Cara ❤️