Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger is such a tricky thing to teach children. I once received a message from Harbors school that someone was reported lingering around the grounds and it forced me to have the conversation.

Unfortunately Harbor isn’t a great listener and with what seemed like an iminant threat of abduction I went in strong. He ended up crying and now asks if he can talk to people or if they will take him away.

The thing is at some age we stop the stranger danger rules and suddenly have to embrace the nutters and weirdos for the fear of looking impolite. I can’t pinpoint when that is but after yesterday I wish I’d still had the balls to say ‘sorry but my mum says not to talk to strangers’

You see I took the boys blackberry picking early in the morning and there was a man cutting his hedge. He came over and started putting things in the boys baskets. Flowers manly. I know what you’re thinking ‘flowers? Shit Cara why didn’t you run?!’ But my point isn’t that I thought he was a threat, it was being exposed for the child bomb. (Those moments where children have an opinion)

As the man bent down to put flowers in Sonnys basket Sonny said ‘you have a smelly head‘ I am very used to these type of comments and being naturally quick witted I normally can deflect the situation by repeating a sentence that sounds similar without the cruelty. This time I was stumped. The silence that followed was agonising. The man  looked to me as if for some reassurance that his head infact didn’t smell. Which obviously didn’t happen because yes my son says stupid things but he’s my tribe and I’ll back him to the death. So if he says your head smells mate then it smells.

We had to leave. I didn’t see anyway to recover and the stranger stayed, lingering. (As strangers do)

I guess that’s the beauty of having children. You pick an innocent activity and they find a way to make it stressful. I much preferred the walk home anyway, they turned their baskets into mini shields and shouted ‘I’m gonna get you Cat Man’ all the way home – Bliss.

1. Y
    September 4, 2016 / 7:43 pm

Awful woman

• September 4, 2016 / 7:45 pm

2. September 4, 2016 / 8:08 pm

To be honest, I’m with Sonny on this one. His head must have been quite smelly if it was noticeable. Sonny may have done him a favour 👌🏻

Cara, your honesty is so refreshing!!
    Never change x

• September 4, 2016 / 8:13 pm

Thank you! 😘

3. September 4, 2016 / 9:20 pm

I’ve just read your post over on Instagram and popped over to re-read this post (as what your son said was clearly so offensive that I couldn’t remember-I half expected it to be something like, ‘f&@k off you dirty old man’ considering people seem to have an opinion on it, and how polite your children are.) God, if I were judged on the things my son said when he was little and the things I know my Poppet will say as soon as she can string a sentence together, I’d be the worst mother in the world! The truth is they both say please and thank you and my son now knows what is appropriate to say out loud (or at least wait until out of earshot). Poppy has recently learned ‘yuck’ and has voiced her opinion once or twice, but she has a cute face so, so far we’ve got away with any red faces. 🙈
    I love your blog and your sense of humour and sarcasm. It’s nice to be reminded that we don’t always have to have our shit together and some days it’s ok to iPad parent and let them eat biscuits for breakfast. X

4. Sophie
    September 5, 2016 / 6:51 am

Hahahaha, yep been there – my 2.5 year old regularly pipes up with comments such as this – they say what they see (or smell in this case), and whilst awks it’s also honest and can’t do much about it when so young. Not sure why anyone finds this offensive?! Do they not have a young child without a filter?! X

5. September 5, 2016 / 9:58 pm

The saying “kids say the funniest things” is so true! It’s children learning to express themselves. Most adults would have laughed along! If a child said to me “you are too chubby!” I would say “and that’s why you shouldn’t eat too many Macdonalds!” Kids are kids! From your videos on Instagram, I always think your boys are really polite and good fun too! They are awesome and I don’t blame you for being proud. I am the same with my one year old. x

6. September 5, 2016 / 11:10 pm

Funny post! Kids say shit that is harsh at times but that’s innocence for you! For all the haters…piss off and stop reading this blog if you think it’s so terrible!

7. Y
    September 6, 2016 / 6:59 am

I don’t find what the little boy said offensive at all. I find the fact she wouldn’t apologise to the man.

• September 8, 2016 / 5:36 pm

Hello, I haven’t posted all of your comments because some of them you have been calling me names. Seeing as insulting someone is something that upset you so much over my blog post maybe you should think about what you right before trying to take the higher ground. If you don’t like my blog please don’t read it. X

• September 8, 2016 / 5:36 pm

*write

8. Casey
    September 6, 2016 / 8:49 am

Haha this made me laugh! It really does annoy me when people think they can randomly get involved in your activities with your kids… The amount of times I want to say p*ss off your ruining the moment!!! I personally think he deserved a child bomb 😂 p.s your Instagram videos are the only ones I can watch without cringing! Keep keeping it real 👊✌️ Xx

9. Parker
    September 8, 2016 / 5:27 pm

Ha – all peace to everyone and do what you want and all that but as everyone else is I’ll put my two cents in. What the little boy said was in my books funny and I would have said – do I have a smelly head or do you have a smelly nose? Gets my little one every time the sarcy bugger haha! However if the man was visibly offended maybe a quick sorry and a scoot off would have been needed. All peace just my two cents – wouldn’t stop my child from saying it in the first place as he does have a right to speak his mind like wise the man has a right to be offended. All love. You have great hair and an otherworldly clean house – come and clean mine please!

• September 8, 2016 / 5:29 pm

He wasn’t offended. Luckily. Like I said normally I can cover what he has said and get away with it. I wouldn’t let him upset someone. X

• Parker
        September 8, 2016 / 6:11 pm

I can’t think of many adults that would be offended by a child. Like I said I thought it was funny and think it’s good to let small children have a voice even if we wouldn’t (out loud) say the same. just wanted to say to Y if they do check that blogs are written to inspire or amuse and you really shouldn’t be taking things too seriously. Chill out, have a cuppa and think about all the crackers things you said as a child. let children be little, they don’t need to be worrying about every little thing – unfortunately that’s our job! As I write this my child is sat at the top of the stairs pulling his tongue out at me. He thinks I can’t see him. Children are not and should not be made to be perfect cookie cutter kids.

10. May
    September 11, 2016 / 10:03 pm

Hi!!! Love your blog and Instagram 🙂 my moto is ‘haters gonna hate’. Keep up the blog 🙂 sod the haters