As soon as the weather forecast says rain I like to bake. It makes the house smell lovely and makes me feel so homely.
I have just purchased the Hemsley and Hemsley cookbook and I wanted to try the chocolate drizzle coconut macaroons recipe. I saw the weather was going to be rubbish this week so I got the ingredients ready. Yes I’m that organised.
4 tablespoons of maple syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
150g desiccated coconut
3 egg whites
Pinch of salt
50g dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 170 or gas mark 5 and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl mix together the maple syrup, vanilla extract and desiccated coconut and then set aside.
- In a squeaky clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with the salt until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture with a metal spoon to form a loose mixture.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, spaced about 2cm apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the macaroons are lightly browned. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of each macaroon and allow to set.
Child helper optional.
(Remember if you wish to purchase anything from Dust and Things like my engraved cheeseboard, use code carasuthers for 10% off)